Lightening up

So this is something that more emotionally with-it people have understood for ages, but it's something of a revelation to me: explaining how you're feeling, AS you are feeling, helps. It doesn't exactly ensure that you are heard, but it at least creates the opportunity that you might be. It doesn't always solve every issue as you perceive them, but it might make them less important, or provide a new perspective. Sometimes, it lets the worries that you were having just... float away.

It's going to take a lot of practice for me to shed my tendency towards the silent and/or wry reception of things (things that I don't like, and also, too often, things that I do like), but I like how it feels to be open, to be honest. I feel lighter, and that, as this thing on my arm continuously reminds me, is one of those lessons that life is determined to teach me over and again.

(erleichda is the semi-created term [bastardized German, in a good way] by Tom Robbins, from Jitterbug Perfume. If I have a mantra, this is it. Oh, and "Yum.")

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the spirit...

October 26, 2021

November 12, 2020