For these holidays, I've decided (we've decided) to make most of our presents for people. It's a pleasant sort of challenge, since even if I'm making the same *kind* of thing for several people, it lets me think about each specific person's personality, particular situation, potential wants or needs, and try to make accordingly. It's also a way for me to feel generous even in a year when we can't afford a lot monetarily. This first thing I'm sharing probably doesn't really count, since it was for Thanksgiving (sort of), and it's just a lil digital output. But I found a lovely meditation from Philip Moffitt, and wanted to share it with Aaron - but also didn't necessarily think he'd read the whole thing. I'm not big on Thanksgiving as a holiday per se at all, but I've been feeling very desirous and needy of working on my attitude of late, and this was a timely way to share those feelings. So I adapted Moffitt's meditation on ...
In the middle of one of those fall-shaped vortices of nostalgia, which is its own kind of blankness or ability to grasp whatever my real is like right now. I swear late October/early November must have been ... something to me in the past, because this recurrence is maddening. I want the insight-key to unlock this pattern. Anyway. I deep-dove into old blogs I used to care enough to bookmark, and found a veritable graveyard. I find that I want to move so far away from the faceb**k & twi**er-verses but also that I need some sort of way to connect to others, but I've let all of those old muscles and connections wither. (Though, also, to be fair - to beeeee faaaaaaaaaiiiir - the people I like the most aren't on any of those already. They're also more reclusive than anyone else I might want to spend time with, as I generally refuse to be egotistical enough to worry that they're just avoiding me.) I need to reestablish new rhythms, but of course this isn't just about ...
Steven Universe provides a necessary model of revolutionary thought right now. It's love, but not in that passive or accepting or even unifying state - it is powerful and sometimes violent because it knows there is a better way, and it also shuns, if necessary. Not because shunning feels nice, but because sometimes you have to throw out that which makes the future you want possible. And sometimes that future may mean that there's an actual way back to re-incorporating that which has been excommunicated - but it's not a given, and it requires actual, painful, long-term work to learn to re-love. Things I read today: George Saunders, "Ghoul" Amber Tamblyn, "The Undying Voice of Diane di Prima" Things I keep re-reading: Rachel Blau DuPlessis, "Draft 72: Nanifesto" I keep coming back, this is a bit of a prayer. Each line has at least some kernel to ponder or muse upon. Today, what strikes me is: "Do not fail sadness." Things I liste...
Comments
Post a Comment